What with having a lot of Harry Potter in my life lately, I feel compelled to comment on the latest trailer for Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them, the Harry Potter spinoff film written by JK Rowling and due to be released in November.
- “Kicked out of Hogwarts for endangering human life with a beast” – really? At the Hogwarts we know, such a thing is barely worthy of detention!
- I love the combination of being presented with a completely different environment from the original books, and the references to Hogwarts and Albus Dumbledore that firmly place this story within the same universe (plus the use of the original Harry Potter theme music). Will Dumbledore make a cameo perhaps?
- The actual content of the trailer isn’t as tantalising as it could be, though. There’s rather a lot of people just wandering around or giving significant looks without displaying anything especially interesting about themselves.
- I like the moments of magic that we do get to see though, and the few Fantastic Beasts that show up – some sort of blue bird, and what must be a Niffler.
- Newt’s suitcase, with its TARDIS function and ‘Muggle Worthy’ setting, looks especially cool, bringing to mind Mad-Eye Moody’s trunk.
- The synopsis on Wikipedia makes it clear that the American history of magic described on Pottermore will play an important role in the film’s story – specifically the prejudice and segregation between wizards and ‘No-Majs’, rather than the blood purity conflict seen in Britain. The newspaper headline in the trailer saying ‘Magical disturbances risk wizarding exposure’ certainly backs this up.
I wouldn’t want the trailer to give too much away, but I feel it could have shown a little bit more of interest. Still, looking very promising so far!